Having an MBA degree from an accredited college or university, will give you more leverage in achieving a new job and a quality life. Accreditation ensures quality and consistency. In the United States, a college or university must be accredited as a whole, before it is eligible to have it's MBA program accredited.
The Master of Business Administration (MBA or M.B.A.) is a master's degree in business administration (management). The MBA degree originated in the United States in the early 20th century when the country industrialized and companies sought scientific approaches to management. The core courses in an MBA program cover various areas of business such as accounting, finance, marketing, human resources and operations in a manner most relevant to management analysis and strategy. Most programs also include elective courses.
2. Consider researching accreditation agencies that promote regional accreditation, professional accreditation, and distance learning accreditation.
- Regional accreditation is the most widely accepted type of accreditation. There are six regional accrediting agencies that grant accreditation.
- Two professional accrediting agencies are Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), which accredits research universities, the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), which accredits junior colleges and teaching colleges.
- Distance Education and Training Council (DETC) maintains and promotes educational excellence in distance educational institutions. It is the largest accrediting agency of online programs.
4. Do your research and make sure that your MBA program is accredited nationally. Attending an accredited program means you are receiving a quality education.
5. Decide what type of MBA degree you are interested in. Some of the major specialized online MBA programs are accounting, economics, finance, marketing, international business. Decide which program is best for you.
Online program generally consists of lectures, readings, assignments, and participation in online discussions. You may need to physically attend some workshops in the campus to get residency hours.
6. Do you wish to earn a degree while working? Consider the course time-is it fitting to your busy schedule? As most students are working employees, they need to find out extra time for these online programs. An MBA online course can be taken on your schedule, giving you a competitive advantage for the future.
7. Most online MBA programs select students on the basis of Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), significant work experience, academic transcripts, essays, references or letters of recommendation and personal interviews.